Thursday, January 9, 2014

Vegetable Stir Fry

Nowadays, a visit to the local market is a treat to the eyes - lines of fresh vegetables and fruits in a medley of colors laid out one after the other. This season brings in large quantities of fresh produce making it pocket friendly. It is a welcome change from the shortage and high prices we saw during the last few months. This week, as I was leaving the market, I saw this vendor with a mound of broccoli and thought I heard him say Rs.10 for a medium sized broccoli. Really! - And I quickly changed course towards him. He was selling medium sized broccoli heads for, yes, Rs.10. Of course, I picked one head even though my husband doesn't care for broccoli whereas all I could see at that time was stir fry, stir fry, stir fry. Of course, more dishes with broccoli will come especially since I need to finish it alone!

My quick veggie stir fry recipe!
Ingredients
Green beans - 1 cup
Broccoli - 1 cup
Onion - 1
Red chilli flakes - 1 tsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
The green beans are cleaned and cut into 2 to 3 inch pieces and the broccoli cut into florets and then measured. Slice the onion into thick slices.
Lightly steam the green beans and keep aside. Heat a pan and add the butter and the sliced onions. Saute on medium heat. Then add the broccoli and continue sauteing for a couple of minutes. Add the steamed green beans, salt and the red chilli flakes and saute for a couple of minutes. Take off the heat before the veggies soften and serve. 
This Vegetable stir fry are good paired with pasta or noodles.
 
My Vegetable Stir Fry goes to
 - Lets Cook with Green Vegetables hosted by simplysensational food
 
 

1 comment:

Citrus Spice and Travels said...

This recipe looks so very delicious.