Monday, November 11, 2013

Poha Upma / Aval Upma

At our home, my husband and I love poha for breakfast but made in completely different ways. My husband likes his poha made the upma way and I love my poha done the kaande pohe or the Maharashtrian way. So each of us gets his way in turns, with me at an advantage because I make it! Or like I did today, I make the poha the upma way just for my husband and then unable to hold back, made some, my favorite way for breakfast.
Ingredients
Thick Poha / Aval / Beaten Rice - 1 cup
Onion - 1, medium
Green chillies - 3
Curry leaves - 5 to 6
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Wash the poha well and drain. Put it into a bowl sprinkle a little water, salt and sugar and using a fork mix and fluff it up. Keep it covered. The poha has to be well moistened but not stick wet.
In a pan, heat oil and when it is hot add the mustard seeds. Let it splutter and add the curry leaves, green chillies and the chopped onion. Sauté till the onion turns translucent. Add the poha and sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes. Take off the heat.
 
The poha upma or aval upma is ready to be served for breakfast with tea.
 

No comments: