Sunday, August 11, 2013

Semiya Upma / Vermicelli Upma

 
At home, we had a different breakfast every morning, it could be any of these - idli, dosa, appam, puttu, rawa upama, semiya upama, daliya upama, chapati bhaji, dal dosa, bread and eggs, veg sandwiches. Mom had to think of different dishes to make everyday else my sister and I would complain about eating the same stuff over and over. Add to that I would refuse to eat some of these - like idli and rawa upma / upama. My mom would make every effort to have another option for me on those days. But on some days she insisted I had what was made, so upma was eaten with my favorite elaichi kela / small banana or a little sugar sprinkled over it. Today, when I am the one cooking I realize the trouble my mom took to make sure each of ate well.

This one of the breakfasts I like to make - semiya upma or vermicelli upma. The recipe is very similar to rawa upma.
Ingredients
Vermicelli - 1 cup or 1 katori
Onion - 1 medium
Green chillies - 2
Curry leaves - 8 to 10
Mustard seeds - 1/2tsp.
Water - 2 cups or 2 katori
Coconut - 2 tbsp.
Oil - 1tbsp
Salt to taste
Heat a pan and dry roast the vermicelli on low heat till light brown. Take it off the heat and keep aside. Chop the onion and green chillies finely.
Heat the oil in a kadai add mustard seeds and once it has spluttered, add the green chillies and curry leaves, a second later add the chopped onions and stir fry. Saute the onions till light brown. Add the water and salt, mix well and let the water boil. Lower the heat and add the roasted semiya to the water. Cover the kadai with a deep plate and add some water in the plate. This will help in cooking the vermicelli. After about 10 minutes take the plate off and check if the vermicelli is cooked. If necessary add a little more water and stir it well. Add grated coconut, stir it well and take it off the heat.  It is ready to serve.
Pair the semiya upma with a chaaya and enjoy.

1 comment:

PP said...

Thanks for your kind words. Do let me know if you would like any specific recipes.